Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Goodbye Dear Friend


Last week was rough.  The time finally came to euthanize one of my treasured adventure companions.  He and I hadn't gone anywhere exotic, but every time we teamed up I was able to escape from this weary world even if just for a few hours.  We were partners and friends.


It's tough to see your furry friend get old, his body slowly breaking down.  It's daunting to determine the right time to humanly end his life.  Today he seems good, yesterday it was difficult and painful for him to walk out of the barn.  So hard to choose.

His last day was sunny and cool. His last minutes were spent eagerly grazing.  His doctor, a wonderful woman who had cared for him for the better part of seven years.  One could not ask for more.  I knew it was the right thing and the right time, but it doesn't stop me from missing him.


And I'm not the only one.  My other boy, his constant companion for 10 years, called and called for him.  It is for him I feel the most sorrow, watching him stand alone where there used to be a pair.  But we are both moving on.  He and I have been taking long rides together, no longer hindered by the infirmities of the first.  We both live in the day and enjoy the sun, the crisp fall air, and the falling leaves and for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment